Being a developing country, the energy demand in Bangladesh has been increasing day by day. The Bangladesh Government has undertaken various projects to meet this rapidly growing demand. New policies have been drafted to cope with the challenges in the energy sector.
These policies will play a major role in ensuring energy security. Still, the law in this sector in Bangladesh is vague. According to the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission Act, 2003, energy means Electricity, Gas & Petroleum related products and the same act gives the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) exclusive power to settle any disputes related to energy law.
The Rashels law desk firm is one of the renowned firm in respect of energy-related laws in Bangladesh. The counsels of the firm have a wide range of experience in conducting arbitration cases in the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission and the Head of the Chambers worked as a Legal Consultant in Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission for around 3(three) years and gained substantial experience in energy law. Besides, the firm has a good understanding of any disputes related to Power Plants, Industrial Gas, CNG Stations, and Petroleum related matters.
We have been handling energy-related arbitration in Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission with a reputation for a long time. We distinguish ourselves from other law firms with an energy practice by having a dedicated legal team comprising of lawyers that are highly specialized in their fields and have deep energy sector experience.
In relation to energy law issues, we can help our client:
- From setting up a powerplant, facilitating the process to get BERC license to any subsequent issues like OUTAGE, EXCESS FULL USE which can be resolved in an Arbitration proceeding in Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC);
- Any electricity-related disputes such as disconnection of electricity line, allegation of illegal tampering, excess consumption fee charged by Bangladesh Power Development Board, Dhaka Power Distribution Company Limited (DPDC), Dhaka Electricity Supply Company Limited (DESCO), Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board (BREB);
- The dispute related to industrial gas connection, residential gas connection and CNG gas connection, such as disconnection of gas line, allegation of illegal tampering, excess consumption fee charged by Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Limited, Karnaphully Gas Distribution Company Limited, Bakhrabad Gas Distribution Company Limited, Pashchimanchal Gas Company Limited;
- Any dispute related to Petroleum related matters;
- Facilitating the process to get Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) license such as CPP license, CNG license, Petroleum license, etc.